Wednesday, July 29, 2009

On my travels - Göreme (Cappadocia)


I took a 5 hour bus journey from Ankara to Göreme in the Cappadocia region of Turkey on 14 July 2009. WOW what a journey, first of all the bus was really modern and super comfortable and there was a steward on board who was offering us free water, coca cola, tea or coffee every few hours. What good service, I wasn't expecting that.

The journey was through lovely countryside with lots of hills along the way. The road was like a motorway quality all the way from Ankara to Cappadocia and there was a service station every few kilometres. Turkey seems to have invested heavily in its infrastructure, or got someone else to invest in it for her. Either way, it seems to have worked and the quality of road network would put other countries to shame.

I'd heard something about Cappadocia before and had seen pictures of it, so that's why I decided to stop there. It's a real big tourist destination in Turkey. It's pretty impressive really they have ancient underground cities, villages, houses and churches built in 'caves'. It even featured in a Star Wars film. I stayed in a 'cave hostel' in the small tourist town of Göreme and visited the Open Air Museum which is a collection of monasteries, nunneries and churches made out of 'caves'. Impressive.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    These are some nice trip reports.
    I am trying to put up a website about people's experiences in Turkey. www.iwasinturkey.com Would you be interested in publishing this article on my site with a referral back to your blog.
    Let me know what you think.
    You can reach me via info@iwasinturkey.com
    thanks,
    onur

    ReplyDelete