Thursday, August 20, 2009

Derry City

On the way to our hostel on the Antrim coast we decided to go through Derry city to see what we could see. I'm still talking about the same day - Saturday the 4th of July '09 - when my brother & I were travelling through the north of Ireland.

I had been to Derry years before when we were on a family holiday in Donegal. All I can remember of it were the famous old walls around the city and the fact that once 5 o'clock came the city seemed to empty out and shut down! Because of the security situation at that time I suppose?

Today it's an interesting place to see, if only for the colourful wall murals that have made the city famous. Also the fact that the two opposing communities seem to live so close to each other and yet still don't see eye to eye is amazing. You can see their respective tribal signs of flags and symbols etc. all over the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment