Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wee Donegal

On our little jaunt through Sligo, Donegal and Mayo in the north of Ireland my brother and I passed by the Glenveigh National Park on the road and I thought 'hang on a sec I've heard that name before somewhere, or at least it sounds familiar for some reason or other??'.

Maybe I'd just seen it on a map? Anyway, I wanted to see it - my interest was piqued. As it turned out it's a really beautiful place and I was glad I decided to stop.

It covers 16,000 acres and it's located in the heart of the Derryveagh Mountains - so you see mountains and lakes as you travel through it. We walked through the park from the car park to the castle and had a wee look around. This unexpected oriental looking statue was in the gardens near the castle.

We ate in the village of Gweedore in the heart of the Gaeltacht, a Chinese by the way and in the late evening saw this amazing sunset. A perfect way to end the day I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment